Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Writing

“I don't think you have time to waste not writing because you are afraid you won't be good at it.” 

― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Thoughts:
You will be bad at many things. However, you never stop and think about it. The human brain is a funny thing. The minute you stop and ask yourself, “Should I?” your brain will say no. We are not meant to do certain things that give us certain feelings. Therefore, what I am about to tell you, take to heart. You just jump right into writing. Do not only think about the words and do not think about the plot. Just write. Feel it in your fingers and imagine the place you want to go. Put it in words. Doesn’t have to be college, SAT, or Harvard words it can be just some simple middle school vocabulary. As long as I can vision the place that you want to visit. Writing is not only about the words. It can be about the thought. The thought behind the place you see. Usually, when you tell someone to vision a place they pick somewhere personal. That is writing. Somewhere personal that you wish either was real or want to go and share it with the world.

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate how you put Lammot's quote first to start out your conversation. A conversation that is rarely had when it comes to writing. And you are right, you try just need to envision where you want to go and who with. Create that adventure and send it from there. I would love to read some of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really fall victim to this kind of stuff. I sometimes think to much about what I want to write, then I mess it up or I end up not writing because it does not feel right, like it does not belong. I have always thought that you needed big words in order to write effectively, but you really don't.

    ReplyDelete

Dance

“The way I dance is by writing.”  ―  Anne Lamott,  Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life